The avocado is everyoneâ€™s favorite fat-filled, low-sugar fruitÂ for a reason: Itâ€™s creamy, delicious, and damn good on toast.
But the green goddess is also supremely nutrient-dense. Here are five surprising facts and health benefits of the humble superfood (as if we needed to give you more of a reason to eat avocados).
- There are 500Â varieties of this berryâ€”yes, itâ€™s technically a berryâ€”that areÂ grown worldwide.
- You only need to eat 1Â avocadoÂ a day to improve your cholesterol.
- A whoppingÂ 100%Â of an avocadoâ€™s peel, flesh, pit, and leaves impart health benefits, according to recent studies.
- The rise in avocado prices have surged 50%Â since 2016, due to weather, deforestation, even extortion by drug cartels.
- AboutÂ 77% ofÂ an avocadoâ€™s calories come from heart-healthy fats.